We don't have to point out that fact that auto insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Consumers who shop around for cheaper rates are likely to switch car insurance companies because the odds are good of finding lower rate quotes. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that people who compared prices once a year saved as much as $70 a month compared to people who don't regularly compare prices.
If finding the lowest price on insurance is the reason you're reading this, understanding how to shop and compare insurance coverage can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
The best way to find lower priced Volkswagen Touareg insurance is to start comparing rates regularly from different companies that insure vehicles in Plano. Prices can be compared by following these steps.
- Read and learn about what is in your policy and the steps you can take to lower rates. Many factors that result in higher prices like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a bad credit rating can be rectified by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies. View rates
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a better price and switch companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Notify your agent or company to cancel your current coverage. Submit a completed application and payment to your new insurance company. Once received, keep the new proof of insurance paperwork along with the vehicle's registration papers.
One piece of advice is that you use the same level of coverage on every quote and to quote with every insurance company. This enables a fair price comparison and many rates to choose from.
Why You Might Pay Lower Rates in Plano
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, but some are not as apparent like your continuous coverage or how financially stable you are. When buying car insurance it's important to understand some of the things that play a part in calculating your car insurance rates. If you understand what influences your rates, this allows you to make good choices that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
High premiums for teenage drivers - Older insureds have been proven to be more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets. Teenage drivers have a tendency to get distracted easily behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
The chart below is based on a single driver, full coverage with $500 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Pay more for higher performance vehicles - The performance of the car you are insuring makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. The lowest performance passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
The chart below uses these assumptions: married female driver age 30, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The data compares Volkswagen Touareg car insurance rates compared to other models of vehicles that have a range of performance risks.
- Drive lots and pay more - Driving more miles annually the more you will pay for car insurance. A lot of insurance companies charge to insure your cars based on their usage. Vehicles that sit idle most of the time receive lower rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Incorrect rating for your Touareg can result in significantly higher rates. Make sure your policy correctly shows the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Prevent coverage lapses - Letting your insurance expire can be a quick way to pay more for car insurance. In addition to paying higher rates, getting caught without coverage may result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may then be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Texas motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Car and home together may be cheaper - The majority of car insurance companies apply discounts for people who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you're getting this discount consumers should still check prices from other companies to guarantee you are still saving the most.
- How much liability - Liability coverage will protect you if a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It will provide for a legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Single drivers take more risk - Getting married may cut your premiums on your car insurance bill. Having a spouse may mean you are more mature than a single person and statistics show married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Tough employer may mean higher rates - Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Occupations like military personnel, executives, and accountants are shown to have the highest average rates due to intense work situations and long work hours. On the flip side, careers such as farmers, athletes and retirees generally pay rates lower than average.
Volkswagen Touareg insurance loss data - Companies use claims history when determining insurance prices. Models that are shown to have increased losses will have higher premium rates.
The table shown below demonstrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Volkswagen Touareg vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is a value of 100. Values that are below 100 indicate better than average losses, while values over 100 point to more frequent losses or tendency to have larger claims.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Volkswagen Touareg Vehicles Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Volkswagen Touareg 4dr 4WD 131 115 133 56 65 87BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Cutting your Plano auto insurance rates can be surprisingly simple. The only requirement is to invest a little time to compare rate quotes from some recommended companies.
Doing online rate quotes comparisons is so easy that it replaces the need to actually drive to different Plano agent offices. Shopping for auto insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you require the trained advice that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. Some companies do allow you to obtain prices from the web but have your policy serviced through an agent.
The companies shown below can provide price comparisons in Plano, TX. If you wish to find cheaper auto insurance in Plano, TX, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
Insurance rate breakdown
The premium table displayed next outlines detailed analysis of rate quotes for Volkswagen Touareg models. Learning more about how auto insurance premiums are determined can help drivers make smart policy decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Touareg 3 Turbo Diesel AWD 4-Dr||$178||$360||$366||$22||$110||$1,036||$86|
|Touareg 3.6 AWD 4-Dr||$178||$360||$366||$22||$110||$1,036||$86|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-policy. Prices do not factor in vehicle location which can impact price quotes considerably.
The example below highlights how deductible selection and can raise or lower Volkswagen Touareg insurance rates for different age groups. The costs are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Volkswagen Touareg liability-only versus full coverage
The chart below illustrates the difference between Volkswagen Touareg insurance costs with full coverage and liability only. The information is based on no accidents or driving violations, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to drop comprehensive and collision coverage
There isn't a written rule for phasing out physical damage insurance, but there is a broad guideline. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than about 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let's say your Volkswagen Touareg replacement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If it's costing you more than $300 annually for physical damage coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some circumstances where removing full coverage is not a good plan. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high insurance cost for a Volkswagen Touareg in Plano, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage if you want to drive legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Touareg, most banks will stipulate that you have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Volkswagen at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance preserves not only your Volkswagen but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially for larger claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $700 annually so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Do you qualify for discounts on Volkswagen Touareg insurance in Plano?
Some insurance providers don't always list all their discounts very clearly, so the following list contains both the well known and also the more inconspicuous discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Plano auto insurance online.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a break if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Driving Data Discount - Policyholders that allow data collection to monitor when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as State Farm's In-Drive may get a rate reduction as long as they are good drivers.
- Resident Student - Children living away from Plano attending college and won't have access to an insured vehicle could get you a discount.
- Accident Waiver - Not a discount per se, but some insurance companies will let one accident slide without getting socked with a rate hike if your claims history is clear for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles optioned with advanced anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and earn discounts up to 10% off your Plano auto insurance quote.
Consumers should know that some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren't that generous.
The illustration below compares Volkswagen Touareg car insurance rates with and without discounts. The data assumes a male driver, no violations or accidents, Texas state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, multi-car, homeowner, claim-free, marriage, and safe-driver discounts applied.
The best auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts are:
- GEICO may include discounts for membership and employees, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, good student, daytime running lights, and seat belt use.
- Travelers has savings for multi-policy, good student, hybrid/electric vehicle, IntelliDrive, student away at school, and payment discounts.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include renewal discount, 55 and retired, driver training, youthful driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and safe driver.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for multi-policy, safety features, multi-car, newly retired, and good student.
- American Family offers discounts including early bird, defensive driver, good driver, mySafetyValet, good student, and air bags.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online quote discount, multi-vehicle, homeowner, good student, multi-policy, and online signing.
When comparing rates, check with each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply in Plano.
Compare prices but work with a neighborhood Plano auto insurance agent
Some people still prefer to have an agent's advice and doing so can bring peace of mind Good agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help you file claims. A good thing about comparing car insurance online is that drivers can save money and get better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Upon completion of this short form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes for your car insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent to you directly. If you have a need to compare prices from a specific car insurance provider, just navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Deciding on an insurer is decision based upon more than just the price. Before buying a policy in Plano, get answers to these questions.
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- What companies can they write with?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
If you want to use a reliable agent, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Plano agents can either be exclusive or independent. Both can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it's good to learn how they differ because it can factor into the type of agent you choose.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can only quote rates from one company like State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Plano who can help you get rate quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents can quote rates with many companies and that enables them to quote your coverage through lots of different companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and that require little work on your part. When comparing rate quotes, we recommend you include independent agents for the best price selection.
Below is a list of independent agencies in Plano who can help you get price quotes.
Different people need different car insurance coverages
When quoting and comparing your policy for your personal vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Your situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. For instance, these questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs might need an agent's assistance.
- When should I drop full coverage on my Volkswagen Touareg?
- When should I not buy collision coverage?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my Volkswagen Touareg to commute?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Texas minimum liability coverage?
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It's fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Compare but don't skimp
In this article, we covered some good ideas how you can reduce Volkswagen Touareg insurance auto insurance rates online in Plano. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get premium rates for, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Plano auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the lowest auto insurance rates are with a small mutual company. These companies often have lower premium rates on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it's very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where someone dropped collision coverage and learned later they didn't have enough coverage. Your strategy should be to buy enough coverage at the best cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Lower-priced Volkswagen Touareg insurance in Plano can be purchased both online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some car insurance companies may not provide online rate quotes and many times these smaller companies sell through local independent agencies.
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for State Employees in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Plano Car Insurance for a Nissan Sentra? (FAQ)
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)