Do you want to learn how to find the cheapest auto insurance rates in Plano, TX? Plano buyers have options when searching for the lowest priced Subaru Baja insurance. You can either waste hours calling around trying to get quotes or leverage the internet to get rate quotes.
There are both good and bad ways to buy auto insurance so we’re going to tell you the proper way to compare rates for a Subaru and get the cheapest rates either online or from Plano insurance agents.
Cutting your Plano auto insurance rates is surprisingly easy. The only requirement is to take a couple of minutes comparing free Plano car insurance quotes from some recommended companies.
The car insurance companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Texas. If you want to find cheap car insurance in Texas, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the lowest price.
Verify you’re earning every discount
Insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but there are discounts available that may help make it more affordable. Some trigger automatically at quote time, but some may not be applied and must be asked about prior to getting the savings.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Active Military Service – Having a family member in the military could trigger a small discount.
- New Vehicle Savings – Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle up can save 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Drivers without accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
We need to note that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
The best insurance companies and a selection of discounts are detailed below.
- GEICO has discounts for multi-vehicle, anti-theft, defensive driver, emergency military deployment, daytime running lights, and federal employee.
- Travelers has savings for student away at school, continuous insurance, payment discounts, driver training, and IntelliDrive.
- Nationwide may include discounts for anti-theft, business or organization, accident-free, good student, multi-policy, defensive driving, and easy pay.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include switch companies, youthful driver, homeowner, early shopping, good student, alternative fuel, and bundle discounts.
- Esurance includes discounts for multi-policy, defensive driver, good driver, DriveSense, and good student.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for student away at school, defensive driving training, multiple policy, good student, anti-theft, passive restraint, and driver’s education.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including good student, online quote discount, online signing, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, multi-policy, and homeowner.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including professional/association, ease of repair, location of vehicle, age of vehicle, and good driver.
Check with each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered on policies in Plano. To locate providers who offer discounts in Plano, follow this link.
Why do I need car insurance?
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Subaru in Plano, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Subaru with a loan, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank will be required to insure your Subaru at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also cover medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having auto insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is wasting up to $865 each year so compare rates every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Insurance agent or online?
A lot of people prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! Agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get cheaper auto insurance rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from and supporting local insurance agents is important especially in Plano.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your information gets sent to agents in your area who will give you quotes for your business. You won’t even need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered directly to you. In the event you want to compare rates from one company in particular, feel free to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
If you would like to find a local Plano insurance agent, there are a couple of types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Car insurance agencies may be either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either one can insure your vehicles properly, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in how they write coverage because it can impact which agent you choose.
These agents are appointed with more than one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through lots of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If they find a lower price, they can switch companies in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies.
If you need cheaper car insurance rates, it’s recommended you check rates from multiple independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Many independent agencies also insure through additional companies that you may not be familiar with which may provide better rates.
The following is a list of independent insurance agencies in Plano that may be able to give you free car insurance rate quotes.
- Alpha Omega Insurance Agency
3131 Custer Rd #275 – Plano, TX 75075 – (866) 386-0739 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Reginald Denard White
800 E Central Pkwy Ste 200 – Plano, TX 75074 – (972) 422-9412 – View Map
- Kurtz Insurance
704 E 15th St #205 – Plano, TX 75074 – (972) 424-2993 – View Map
Agents of this type can only quote rates from one company such as American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive insurance agents receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products which can be an advantage. A lot of people choose to use an exclusive agent mainly due to the prominent brand name and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following is a list of exclusive agents in Plano willing to provide rate quotes.
- Joseph Jackson – State Farm Insurance Agent
7920 Preston Rd #300 – Plano, TX 75024 – (972) 690-9090 – View Map
- Korina Hernandez – State Farm Insurance Agent
2301 N Central Expy #260 – Plano, TX 75075 – (972) 423-7667 – View Map
- Christopher Walls – State Farm Insurance Agent
3308 Preston Rd #300 – Plano, TX 75093 – (972) 758-1111 – View Map
Picking the best insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- How many years have they been established?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Plano?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
After you get positive responses to any questions you may have as well as an affordable premium quote, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that is professional and can properly service your car insurance policy.
Detailed coverages of your car insurance policy
Having a good grasp of car insurance can be of help when determining which coverages you need for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Subaru Baja.
Since many Texas drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (30/60/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Usually these limits are set the same as your liability limits.
Auto liability – This coverage can cover damage or injury you incur to a person or their property by causing an accident. This coverage protects you from claims by other people, and doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see policy limits of 30/60/25 that means you have a $30,000 limit per person for injuries, $60,000 for the entire accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use a combined single limit or CSL which combines the three limits into one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability insurance covers claims like bail bonds, repair costs for stationary objects, attorney fees, pain and suffering and loss of income. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Texas requires drivers to carry at least 30/60/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for short-term medical expenses such as dental work, pain medications and doctor visits. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. They cover both the driver and occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Collision coverage – This will pay to fix damage to your Baja resulting from colliding with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as hitting a parking meter, sustaining damage from a pot hole, scraping a guard rail, damaging your car on a curb and driving through your garage door. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your Baja in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive coverage – This covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as hitting a deer, rock chips in glass and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The most a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.