Smart shoppers know that insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. Drivers who shop around for the cheapest price will presumably buy a new policy because there is a high probability of finding better rates. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that drivers who compared prices once a year saved $70 a month as compared to drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding budget-friendly auto insurance in Plano is your ultimate target, then having some knowledge of how to quote and compare car insurance can save time and money.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get affordable Mercury Sable insurance is to compare prices at least once a year from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in Plano.
Step 1: Try to comprehend individual coverages and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that result in higher prices like accidents, traffic violations, and an unfavorable credit rating can be amended by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article provides more details to help reduce prices and find discounts that may have been missed.
Step 2: Compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the quotes to your current policy to see if cheaper Sable coverage is available in Plano. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
Step 4: Notify your company or agent of your intention to cancel the current policy. Submit the required down payment along with the signed application to the new company. Once the application is submitted, put the new certificate of insurance in your vehicle's glove compartment or console.
A good tip to remember is to compare identical limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get prices from all possible companies. This enables a fair price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Why You Might Pay Inflated Rates in Plano
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing some of the things that play a part in calculating your premiums. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you much lower annual insurance costs.
Listed below are most of the major factors companies use to determine your rate level.
Auto insurance policy lapses increase rates - Driving without insurance can get you a ticket and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance expire. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage will get you fines and jail time. You may then be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Texas motor vehicle department.
Low stress job equals lower prices - Do you have a high-stress occupation? Occupations such as military generals, police officers, and emergency personnel usually pay the highest average rates because of high stress and lengthy work days. Other occupations such as farmers, athletes and performers generally pay rates lower than average.
Pay less with a high NHTSA crash test rating - Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have better insurance rates. Highly rated vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders. If the Mercury Sable is rated at a minimum an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you are probably receiving a discount.
Stay claim-free and reduce auto insurance rates - Companies in Texas give better rates to drivers who do not file claims often. If you file claims often, you can look forward to higher rates. Auto insurance is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
Getting married is a bonus - Having a significant other may earn you lower rates when shopping for auto insurance. Having a spouse demonstrates that you tend to be more responsible and it's proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
Commute or pleasure use - The higher the miles on your Mercury in a year's time the more you'll pay to insure it. Almost all companies price each vehicle's coverage partially by how you use the vehicle. Vehicles left parked in the garage receive better premium rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Improper usage on your Sable is just wasting money. Make sure your auto insurance declarations sheet correctly shows the correct driver usage.
Bundle policies and save - Lots of companies give a discount to policyholders who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. The amount of the discounts can be ten percent or more. Even with this discount applied, drivers will still want to compare Mercury Sable rates in Plano to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Drivers may still save even more by splitting coverages up.
The quickest way to compare policy rates for Mercury Sable insurance in Plano is to understand almost all companies actually pay money for the chance to give you rate quotes. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is provide a small amount of information like if the vehicle is leased, what you do for a living, whether you drive to work or school, and your education level. That rating information is automatically sent to insurance carriers in your area and they return cost estimate immediately.
If you wish to get multiple quotes for your Mercury Sable now, click here and complete the quick form.
The providers in the list below can provide price quotes in Plano, TX. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you compare several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Choosing Sable insurance is an important decision
Despite the high cost, auto insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability protection in order to be legal. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Sable, most banks will require you to buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Mercury at an extremely high rate and make you pay the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards both your Mercury and your personal assets. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your Sable more than cancel out the cost, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Plano overpays more than $865 each year so you should quote rates once a year at a minimum to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Get lower-cost Mercury Sable insurance in Plano with discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don't necessarily list every discount available very clearly, so the following list contains both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts that you may qualify for.
- Defensive Driving Course - Taking time to complete a course teaching defensive driving skills is a good idea and can lower rates if you qualify.
- Early Switch Discount - A few auto insurance companies offer discounts for switching policies early. You may see this discount when you get Plano car insurance quotes online.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you can bundle your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you may earn as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Federal Employees - Active or former government employment may reduce rates when you quote Plano car insurance but check with your company.
- New Car Discount - Insuring a new Sable may earn a small discount compared to insuring an older model.
- ABS Braking Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
As a sidenote, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn't work that way.
Some companies that may have some of the discounts shown above possibly include:
If you need lower rates, check with every prospective company to give you their best rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in your state. To see providers with significant discounts in Plano, follow this link.
You may need advice from an agent
A small number of people would prefer to sit down with an agent and that can be a great decision One of the great benefits of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that you can find cheaper prices and still buy from a local agent.
After completing this simple form, the quote information is emailed to agents in your area that provide free Plano car insurance quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You never need to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent to you instantly. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to quote rates for a specific company, you can always go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Selecting an provider requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Any agent in Plano should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- How often do they review coverages?
- If they are an independent agency in Plano, which companies do they recommend?
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
If you need to find a local insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of agencies that you can select. Agents in Plano are classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type can only provide pricing for a single company like Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They usually cannot provide other company's prices so they really need to provide good service. They are usually well trained in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Plano that are able to give comparison quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent are not restricted to one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies and get you the best rates possible. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your policy is moved internally which is easy for the insured.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you absolutely need to check rates from a few independent agents for maximum quote selection.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Plano willing to provide rate quotes.
Best Insurance Agent
4332 Belvedere Dr - Plano, TX 75093 - (972) 398-2697 - View Map
Will just any policy work for me?
When choosing a policy, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different and your insurance should be unique as well. For example, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
If you're not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Budget-conscious Mercury Sable insurance can be purchased on the web as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. A few companies may not have online rate quotes and usually these small, regional companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
We just presented a lot of ways to lower your Mercury Sable insurance rates in Plano. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting affordable Plano car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest rates are with a smaller regional carrier. They may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it's not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, drivers have reduced full coverage only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional detailed information is available in the articles below:
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for a Toyota Highlander in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Plano Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Altima? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Real Estate Agents in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Plano Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a School Permit in Plano? (FAQ)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)