Want to know an easy way to compare the cheapest auto insurance rates in Plano, TX? Nobody loves paying for auto insurance, particularly when they could lower their rates if they shopped around.
It’s safe to assume that auto insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Insureds who rate shop once a year will, in all likelihood, move their business because there is a high probability of finding a lower-priced company. A recent study showed that drivers who made a habit of comparing rates saved an average of $3,450 over four years compared to other drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the lowest price for auto insurance is your ultimate objective, then having a good understanding how to quote prices and compare insurance can help make the process easier.
Many auto insurance companies vie for your insurance dollar, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurers and get the definite lowest cost out there.
The most recommended method to compare policy rates is to know auto insurance companies participate in online systems to give free rates quotes. The only thing you need to do is give the companies some data such as how you use your vehicles, your job, driver ages, and whether you have decent credit. That information is then submitted to multiple different insurance companies and they return quotes instantly to find the best rate.
To start a rate quote now, click here then complete the form.
The following companies can provide price comparisons in Plano, TX. To locate cheap auto insurance in Plano, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$888||$444||$74|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Regular Cab||$970||$485||$81|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 4WD||$1,100||$550||$92|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$764||$382||$64|
|Ford F-150 STX Super Cab 4WD||$876||$438||$73|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$888||$444||$74|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$830||$415||$69|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$782||$391||$65|
|Honda Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$1,124||$562||$94|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$952||$476||$79|
|Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2-Dr||$858||$429||$72|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$970||$485||$81|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$970||$485||$81|
|Toyota Camry LE||$906||$453||$76|
|Toyota Corolla S||$952||$476||$79|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Table data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in garaging location in Plano which can decrease or increase auto insurance rates noticeably.
Auto insurance is not optional in Texas
Despite the high cost, auto insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over the higher price.
- Auto insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your car outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. Unknowingly, the average driver overpays as much as $825 a year so it’s important to compare rates at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
You have control over your auto insurance premiums
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that help determine your auto insurance rates. If you have a feel for what determines premiums, this allows you to make good choices that may result in lower rates. Many factors are used in the calculation when premium rates are determined. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, although others are less obvious such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
Shown below are some of the factors used by insurance companies to determine premiums.
Lower rates for cars with good safety ratings – Cars with five star safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Safer cars help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and lower rates of occupant injuries means lower claim amounts and cheaper rates on your policy.
Age of drivers impacts prices – Beginning drivers in Texas tend to get distracted easily behind the wheel so auto insurance rates are higher. Older, more experienced drivers tend to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and are generally more financially stable.
Prevent theft and reduce auto insurance rates – Buying a car with advanced anti-theft systems can save you a little every year. Systems that thwart thieves like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
How credit rating affects auto insurance prices – Having a bad credit rating will be a significant factor in your rate calculation. So if your credit history can use some improvement, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle if you clean up your credit. People that have good credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with bad credit.
More annual miles equals more premium – The more you drive annually the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Almost all companies calculate prices based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage can get a lower rate compared to those used for work or business. It’s a good idea to make sure your declarations sheet is rated on the right rating data.
Liability protection limits should be high – The liability coverage on your policy is the coverage that protects you in the event that you are found to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides legal defense starting from day one. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
How’s your driving record? – Good drivers pay lower auto insurance prices than people who have multiple driving citations. Having a single speeding ticket or other violation may cause rates to rise twenty percent or more. Drivers who get dangerous violations such as reckless driving or DUI may find that they have to to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to legally drive a vehicle.
Your job may affect prices – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Careers such as judges, social workers, and dentists generally have the highest average rates attributed to intense work situations and extremely grueling work hours. Conversely, professions such as scientists, engineers and performers have the lowest average rates.
Take advantage of every auto insurance discount
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but discounts can save money and there are some available that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be applied at the time you complete a quote, but some discounts are required to be manually applied before you get the savings.
- Federal Employees – Active or former government employment may reduce rates when you quote Plano auto insurance with certain companies.
- Military Discounts – Being deployed in the military can result in better auto insurance rates.
- Data Collection Discounts – Insureds who allow driving data submission to monitor driving habits by installing a telematics device such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could save a few bucks if they show good driving skills.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags may get savings up to 30%.
- ABS Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Drivers who don’t have accidents pay much less when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Driver Training Discounts – Successfully completing a defensive driver course could earn you a small percentage discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Seniors can get lower premium rates.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
A few popular companies and their possible discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm has savings for defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, safe vehicle, good student, and multiple autos.
- GEICO offers discounts for multi-policy, anti-theft, emergency military deployment, military active duty, membership and employees, defensive driver, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO has discounts for bundle discounts, teen safety rewards, anti-lock brakes, drive less, and teen safe driver.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include electronic funds transfer, good student, bundle discounts, mature driver, multi-car, and distant student.
- AAA may include discounts for good driver, AAA membership discount, multi-car, multi-policy, pay-in-full, anti-theft, and good student.
- USAA includes discounts for safe driver, vehicle storage, annual mileage, new vehicle, good student, defensive driver, and driver training.
If you need cheaper Plano auto insurance quotes, ask every company which credits you are entitled to. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in your state. If you would like to view providers that offer some of these discounts in Plano, click this link.
You may need specialized insurance coverage
When quoting and comparing coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no one size fits all plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so your insurance needs to address that.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- What is glass protection for?
- If my pet gets injured in an accident are they covered?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Get rate quotes but still have a local neighborhood Plano car insurance agent
A small number of people just prefer to buy from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find better rates but also keep your business local. Buying insurance from local insurance agencies is still important in Plano.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, the quote information is instantly submitted to companies in Plano who will give competitive quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from one company in particular, you just need to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Choosing an provider should depend on more than just the premium amount. Any agent in Plano should be willing to answer these questions.
- How long have they been in business?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Plano?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Texas?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
Shop smart and save
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Cheap auto insurance in Plano is definitely available from both online companies in addition to many Plano insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies may not offer online quoting and these smaller companies work with independent agents.
You just read some good ideas how to shop for auto insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding cheap Plano auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest car insurance rates come from some of the lesser-known companies. These companies may have significantly lower premium rates on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
How to find cheaper rates for car insurance in Plano
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to save on car insurance rates is to start comparing rates regularly from companies who sell auto insurance in Plano.
Step 1: Get an understanding of how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can control to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates like multiple speeding tickets and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
Step 2: Quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find better rates and switch companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
Step 4: Notify your company or agent of your decision to cancel your current policy. Submit a completed application and payment for your new policy. Once the application is submitted, keep your new proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle.
A tip to remember is to make sure you enter identical coverage information on every quote request and and to get price quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. This enables a level playing field and a complete selection of prices.
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Dodge Ram in Plano? (FAQ)
- How Much is Plano Auto Insurance with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for Handicapped Drivers in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Plano Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Tacoma? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Veterans in Plano? (FAQ)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)