It’s shocking but the vast majority of consumers have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. The average driver in the U.S. could save an average of $850 each year just by shopping around, but they don’t want to spend time to shop around.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find affordable quotes for Mercury Montego insurance in Plano is to start comparing prices yearly from different companies in Texas.
First, try to learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the modifications you can make to lower rates. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates such as getting speeding tickets and a low credit rating can be amended by paying attention to minor details.
Second, request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can give you price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available in Plano. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, give notification to your current company to cancel your current policy and submit payment and a signed application to the new company. As soon as you receive it, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
The key thing to remember is to try to compare identical limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to analyze as many companies as you can. Doing this enables an accurate price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Components of Your Mercury Montego Insurance Rates
Many factors are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but some are more transparent such as whether you are married or how safe your car is. Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that come into play when calculating your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that could help you find big savings.
The factors shown below are some of the items utilized by car insurance companies to help set premiums.
Improve your credit rating and save – Having a good credit rating can be a huge factor in determining your rates. People that have high credit ratings tend to be better risks to insure than those with poor credit scores. If your credit rating is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your Mercury Montego if you improve your credit rating.
Battle of the sexes – Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. It does not mean women are better drivers. Men and women are responsible for at-fault accidents at about the same rate, but males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also get higher numbers of serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI). Young males are the most expensive to insure and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
Rates increase with driving citations – Being a careful driver can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Even one chargeable violation may increase your cost forty percent or more. Careful drivers get better prices compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who have received careless citations such as reckless driving or DUI may be required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
Annual miles impacts premiums – The higher the miles on your Mercury every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars that have low annual miles qualify for better rates than cars that get driven a lot. A policy that improperly rates your Montego is throwing money out the window. Ask your agent if your vehicle rating states annual mileage.
Slash your auto insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always list every discount in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both well-publicized and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using when you buy Plano car insurance online.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can stop better under adverse conditions and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Homeowners Savings – Simply owning a home can save you money since home ownership demonstrates responsibility.
- Memberships – Being a member of qualifying employment or professional organizations could qualify you for a break on your next auto insurance statement.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay less as compared to bad drivers.
- Defensive Driver – Passing a course in safe driver may get you a small discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of auto insurance companies will give a small break simply for signing on your computer.
- Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save a little on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Bundle and Save – If you have multiple policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you will save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed in the military may lower your rates slightly.
One last thing about discounts, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Popular auto insurance companies and some of the discounts are detailed below.
- Travelers offers discounts for home ownership, save driver, new car, IntelliDrive, early quote, driver training, and payment discounts.
- 21st Century has savings for 55 and older, air bags, automatic seat belts, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, and driver training.
- State Farm may offer discounts for driver’s education, multiple policy, defensive driving training, safe vehicle, and good driver.
- GEICO may include discounts for federal employee, driver training, seat belt use, daytime running lights, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for accident prevention training, drive less, teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, and bundle discounts.
- AAA discounts include multi-policy, anti-theft, multi-car, good driver, and good student.
If you need cheaper Plano car insurance quotes, ask every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. Discounts might not be available to policyholders everywhere. To see auto insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in Plano, click here to view.
Do the work, save more money
People leave their current company for many reasons like policy cancellation, being labeled a high risk driver, high prices or even denial of a claim. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new insurance company is actually quite simple.
In this article, we presented a lot of techniques to save on Mercury Montego insurance in Plano. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with the smaller companies.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, an insured cut collision coverage and discovered at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
More tips and info about car insurance is available in the articles below:
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Plano Car Insurance Rates for Felons? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for Good Drivers in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Plano Auto Insurance Rates for First-time Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Plano Auto Insurance for a Ford Escape? (FAQ)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)