It’s a fact that insurance companies don’t want their customers to go rate shopping. Consumers who get comparison quotes at least once a year will most likely switch to a new company because they stand a good chance of finding a policy with more affordable rates. A recent auto insurance study revealed that people who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved an average of $3,450 over four years as compared to drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the cheapest rates on Lincoln LS insurance in Plano is your intention, then knowing how to shop and compare coverages can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
If you want to save money, the best way to find the cheapest price for car insurance rates is to do an annual price comparison from insurance carriers in Plano.
- Try to understand the coverage provided by your policy and the factors you can control to keep rates down. Many factors that are responsible for high rates like traffic citations and an unacceptable credit rating can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Keep reading for ideas to help find cheaper rates and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can provide rate quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save money and change companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
A good tip to remember is to use similar limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to compare as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and the best rate selection.
The goal of this article is to introduce you to how car insurance quotes work and how to save the most money. If you already have coverage, you will most likely be able to reduce premiums using the following tips. Although Texas car owners do need to know the way companies compete online.
Best companies for Lincoln LS insurance
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get the best price comparison.
Smart Consumers Can Save Money
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that help determine car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this enables you to make decisions that could help you find cheaper rates.
- Battle of the sexes – Over the last 30 years, statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that females are better drivers. Males and females tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but males get into accidents with more damage. In addition to higher claims, males also get more serious tickets such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Cheaper car insurance rates using alarm systems – Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can earn a premium discount. Systems that thwart thieves like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all hinder auto theft and help lower rates.
- Premiums increase with policy add-ons – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that may not really be needed on your LS policy. Insurance for rental car reimbursement, death and dismemberment, and membership fees may be costing you every month. They may seem good initially, but if you’ve never needed them in the past remove them from your policy.
- Premiums are high for teenagers – Drivers with little experience have a tendency to be careless and easily distracted when driving so car insurance rates are higher. If you’ve ever had to add a beginning driver to your car insurance policy can really hurt. Older people have been proven to be more responsible, file fewer claims, and are generally more financially stable.
- Your address can affect price – Having an address in smaller towns and rural areas of the country is a positive aspect when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accident claims in addition to fewer liability claims. Drivers who live in large Texas cities have more traffic problems and longer commutes to work. Spending more time driving statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
- Stay claim-free and save – Companies in Texas generally give cheaper rates to insureds who file claims infrequently. If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
- Drive less and save – The more you drive annually the higher your rate. Many insurance companies calculate rates based on how the vehicle is used. Cars used primarily for pleasure use receive better premium rates than those used for commuting. An improperly rated LS may be costing you higher rates. It’s a smart idea to ensure your car insurance declarations sheet states the correct usage, because it can save money.
- The higher your credit history the lower your rates – Having a bad credit score is a large factor in determining your rates. If your credit is not that good, you may save money insuring your Lincoln LS by taking the time to improve your credit score. Consumers who have very high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims than drivers who have poor credit scores.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize all possible discounts very well, so below is a list a few of the more well known as well as the least known ways to save on car insurance.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new LS can save you some money compared to insuring an older model.
- Organization Discounts – Being a member of qualifying clubs or civic groups may earn a discount on your policy.
- College Student – Youth drivers who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles with factory air bags may qualify for discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Early Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment rather than spreading payments over time you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt may be able to save a few bucks off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Driver’s Ed – Require your teen driver to successfully take a driver’s education course in school.
- Telematics Data – Drivers that enable their car insurance company to analyze vehicle usage remotely such as Progressive’s Snapshot could see a rate decrease if they have good driving habits.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles on your Lincoln could be rewarded with better prices on cars that stay parked.
Keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way.
A list of companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts include:
- GEICO may offer discounts for five-year accident-free, air bags, multi-vehicle, daytime running lights, and emergency military deployment.
- Travelers discounts include hybrid/electric vehicle, multi-car, continuous insurance, early quote, driver training, and IntelliDrive.
- Farm Bureau offers premium reductions for 55 and retired, driver training, good student, renewal discount, youthful driver, multi-vehicle, and safe driver.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including new vehicle discount, multi-car, teen driver discount, safety features, and good student.
- American Family includes discounts for good student, good driver, Steer into Savings, mySafetyValet, and accident-free.
- Progressive may include discounts for continuous coverage, multi-policy, online signing, online quote discount, good student, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
When quoting, ask each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Savings may not apply in Plano. For a list of car insurance companies that offer discounts in Texas, follow this link.
Local agents and insurance
Many drivers just prefer to sit down with an agent and that is not a bad decision One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Putting coverage with small agencies is still important in Plano.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your information gets sent to companies in Plano who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to find an agent on your own since price quotes are sent directly to your email. You can get cheaper insurance rates without requiring a lot of work. If you wish to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
When narrowing the list to find a good Plano insurance agent, there are a couple of types of agencies that you can choose from. Insurance agents may be either exclusive or independent.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents do not sell for just one brand and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and the insured can keep the same agent.
When comparison shopping, you will definitely want to include at a minimum one independent agency so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Featured below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Plano that may be able to give price quotes.
Agents of this type normally can only provide a single company’s rates like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They are unable to shop your coverage around so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable on what they offer which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Plano that are able to give price quote information.
Choosing the best auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap quote. Any agent in Plano should have no problem answering these questions:
- How many years have they been established?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- What companies can they write with?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
Best auto insurance company in Texas
Finding the best company can be difficult considering how many companies there are in Plano. The information shown below could help you select which car insurance providers to look at purchasing coverage from.
Top 10 Plano Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- Mercury Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- The General
Don’t give up on affordable coverage
Cheaper insurance in Plano can be bought on the web as well as from insurance agents, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and usually these regional insurance providers only sell through independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are many occasions where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
We just presented a lot of techniques to save on Lincoln LS insurance in Plano. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better chance you’ll have of finding low cost Plano car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the best premium rates are with the smaller companies. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like Progressive or GEICO.
Additional insurance information can be read below:
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Plano Auto Insurance for a GMC Sierra? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Safe Drivers in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Corolla in Plano? (FAQ)
- How Much is Plano Auto Insurance for 17 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a Kia Optima in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Plano Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Low Mileage Drivers in Plano? (FAQ)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)