Inconceivable but true, nearly 70% of Texas drivers have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and practically 40% of insurance customers have never even compared quotes to find lower-cost rates. Drivers in America could save $850 each year by just comparing quotes, but they just don't want to compare other rate quotes.
The most effective way to find cheaper quotes for auto insurance rates in Plano is to start doing a yearly price comparison from providers that sell auto insurance in Texas. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
- Spend a few minutes and learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the changes you can make to lower rates. Many rating factors that result in higher prices like at-fault accidents and poor credit rating can be amended by paying attention to minor details.
- Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies. Get quotes now
- Compare the quotes to the price on your current policy and see if you can save money. If you find a better price, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Notify your company or agent of your intent to cancel your existing policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to the new company. Be sure to put the new proof of insurance paperwork with your vehicle's registration.
One important bit of advice is to compare identical coverages on every quote and and to analyze as many companies as you can. Doing this helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Cheaper Plano auto insurance quotes with discounts
Some providers don't list every policy discount very well, so the next list breaks down both the well known and the harder-to-find credits available to bring down your rates.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control can avoid accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Online Discount - A few insurance companies provide a small discount for signing up on the internet.
- Cautious Driver Discount - Drivers without accidents may save up to 50% more compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Military Rewards - Being deployed in the military can result in better premium rates.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts can save a little off the personal injury premium cost.
- Save with a New Car - Adding a new car to your policy may earn a small discount compared to insuring an older model.
- Good Grades Discount - A discount for being a good student may save as much as 25% on a Plano car insurance quote. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Discount for Swiching Early - Some larger companies give discounts for buying a new policy prior to the expiration date on your current Passat insurance policy. It can save you around 10%.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Participating in a course teaching driver safety skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
It's important to note that most credits do not apply to the whole policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think you could get a free auto insurance policy, it just doesn't work that way.
The example below illustrates the difference between Volkswagen Passat car insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The rates are based on a female driver, no claims or violations, Texas state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, safe-driver, marriage, multi-policy, homeowner, and claim-free discounts applied.
To view companies who offer free Volkswagen Passat insurance quotes in Plano, follow this link.
When comparison shopping, comparing a wide range of rates will improve the odds of getting a lower rate than you're paying now.
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer quotes in Plano, TX. To buy cheap auto insurance in Texas, it's a good idea that you get prices from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Rates and statistics
The price information shown below showcases different insurance rates for Volkswagen Passat models. Being aware of how auto insurance prices are figured can help guide drivers when making informed decisions when comparing rate quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Passat Komfort Station Wagon||$288||$594||$310||$18||$94||$1,304||$109|
|Passat Komfort 4-Dr Sedan||$288||$594||$366||$22||$110||$1,380||$115|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Table data does not factor in your specific Plano location which can influence insurance rates greatly.
Insurance rates are higher with tickets and accidents
The chart below shows how traffic citations and at-fault collisions impact Volkswagen Passat annual premium costs for each different age category. The costs are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Insurance rates based on gender in Plano
The chart below illustrates the difference between Volkswagen Passat yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Plano Insurance Rates are Influenced by These Factors
When buying insurance it's important to understand a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that may result in lower premium levels. Many different elements are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, but other criteria are less obvious such as your marital status or your commute time.
Mileage impacts prices - The more you drive your Volkswagen every year the more it will cost to insure it. Almost all companies apply a rate determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos that are left in the garage receive better premium rates than those that get driven frequently. Improper usage on your Passat is throwing money out the window. Make sure your declarations sheet shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Pay more if you have a long commute - Being located in smaller towns and rural areas of the country has definite advantages if you are looking for the lowest rates. Less people translates into fewer accidents in addition to lower liability claims. Drivers in populated Texas areas regularly have congested traffic and much longer commute distances. Spending more time driving means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
Prevent your car from being stolen - Selecting a car model with an alarm system can help lower your premiums. Systems that thwart thieves such as GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can help prevent car theft.
Incidental coverages that aren't used - There are a ton of extra bells and whistles that may not really be needed if you aren't careful. Coverages like coverage for rental cars, death and dismemberment, and membership fees may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may seem good when discussing your needs, but if you don't need them think about removing them and cutting costs.
Safer cars save money - Vehicles that have high safety ratings cost less to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce the chance of injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into savings for insurance companies which can result in lower premiums.
Better rates for uninterrupted coverage - Allowing your coverage to lapse will be a fast way to drive up your policy premiums. In addition to paying higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance may earn you fines and jail time. Then you may be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Texas DMV.
Teenagers are high risk - Older drivers are more responsible, cause fewer claims and accidents, and are generally more financially stable. Teen drivers are known to get distracted easily when at the wheel of a vehicle so insurance rates are higher.
The following chart is based on a single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Bundle policies with the same company - Many insurance companies allow a discount to people that have more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. The discount can add up to ten or even fifteen percent. Even with this discount applied, you still need to shop around to ensure the best deal. Drivers may still save more without the discount by insuring with multiple companies.
Volkswagen Passat claim statistics - Car insurance companies analyze historical claim data to calculate a price that will offset losses. Models that historically have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will cost more for coverage. The data below shows the loss history for Volkswagen Passat vehicles.
For each coverage category, the statistical loss for all vehicles averaged together is a value of 100. Numbers below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while percentage numbers above 100 show a trend for more claims or tendency to have larger claims.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Buying auto insurance from Plano car insurance agents
Many people just prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases One of the benefits of comparing auto insurance online is you may find cheaper prices but also keep your business local. Buying insurance from neighborhood agents is especially important in Plano.
Upon completion of this quick form, the coverage information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Plano that can provide free Plano car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't need to contact any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent directly to you. You can find better rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you wish to get a price quote from one company in particular, you can always go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
If you're trying to find a local insurance agency, it's helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they function. Agents in Plano can be described as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents are not restricted to one company so as a result can place your coverage with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies which requires no work on your part. If you need lower rates, we recommend you check rates from at least one independent agent to get the most accurate price comparison.
The following is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Plano who may provide competitive price quotes.
Plano, TX Car Insurance - The Gallovich Insurance Agency
1145 14th St #2117 - Plano, TX 75074 - (972) 398-0001 - View Map
Best Insurance Agent
4332 Belvedere Dr - Plano, TX 75093 - (972) 398-2697 - View Map
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate and AAA. These agents are not able to provide prices from multiple companies so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive agents are trained well on their company's products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Plano that are able to give price quotes.
Deciding on an car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- How long has the business existed?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
Buying the right Volkswagen Passat insurance in Texas is an important decision
Despite the high insurance cost for a Volkswagen Passat in Plano, maintaining insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Volkswagen Passat, most banks will make it mandatory that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your Volkswagen for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards your car and your assets. It also can pay for all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Volkswagen as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having auto insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially when you need to use it. The average driver in America overpays more than $825 a year so it's recommended you shop around every year to save money.
Plano auto insurance company ratings
Picking the highest-rated auto insurance provider can be rather challenging considering how many companies are available to choose from in Plano. The rank data shown next could help you select which companies you want to consider when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Plano Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- Mercury Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- The General
Top 10 Plano Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- Mercury Insurance
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- The General
- 21st Century
Persistence is the key to cheaper rates
We just presented quite a bit of information on how to find cheap Volkswagen Passat insurance in Plano. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding inexpensive Plano car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best price on insurance is with a small mutual company. They can often provide lower car insurance rates in certain areas than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.
When buying insurance coverage, it's a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
More information is located at these links:
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Infrequent Drivers in Plano? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Cheap Car Insurance in Plano, Texas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Plano Auto Insurance for Ride Shares? (FAQ)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)