It's shocking but the vast majority of consumers have remained with the same insurance company for at least four years, and nearly half have never even compared rates from other companies. Many drivers in Texas could save up to 70% a year, but most just don't grasp how much they could save if they bought a different policy.
The preferred way to find the cheapest price for Scion iQ insurance is to compare prices at least once a year from different companies who provide auto insurance in Plano. Prices can be compared by completing these steps.
- Gain an understanding of what coverages are included in your policy and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that result in higher prices such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and a poor credit rating can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can quote rates from multiple sources. Start a quote
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find better rates and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Provide written notification to your current company to cancel your current coverage. Submit the signed application along with the required initial payment for your new policy. Don't forget to keep your new proof of insurance certificate above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
One thing to remember is to try to compare identical coverage information on each quote request and and to get prices from as many companies as you can. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Choosing the most cost-effective insurance policy in Plano is really quite simple as long as you have a good starting point. If you have a current insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to cut your premiums using these tips. Comparison shoppers just have to use the quickest method to compare different rates from many companies at once.
The Scion iQ Insurance Rate Equation
When buying insurance it's important to understand the different types of things that come into play when calculating your insurance rates. If you understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make good choices that can help you get cheaper rates. Many different elements are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Most are fairly basic like your driving record, but other criteria are more transparent such as your credit history or how safe your car is.
- Liability insurance is critical - Your insurance policy's liability coverage is the coverage that protects you if ever a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Your liability coverage provides for a legal defense to defend your case. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- Good credit means lower costs - Having a bad credit history will be a significant factor in determining premium rates. If your credit history could use some work, you could potentially save money when insuring your Scion iQ by repairing your credit. Insureds with very good credit scores tend to file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit ratings.
- Your occupation is a factor - Occupations like fire fighters, social workers, and emergency personnel usually pay higher average rates attributed to stressful work requirements and lots of time spent away from family. Conversely, jobs such as professors, students and performers generally pay rates lower than average.
- Prices impacted by your city - Choosing to live in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when talking about insurance. City drivers tend to have congested traffic and much longer commute distances. Lower population translates into fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates.
- Safer vehicles lower premiums - Cars with high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Safer cars result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and cheaper rates on your policy.
- Pay lower prices after the wedding - Your spouse helps lower the price when buying insurance. Marriage demonstrates that you tend to be more mature and responsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Drive fewer miles and save - Driving a lot of miles every year the higher your rates will be. A lot of insurance companies calculate rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos used primarily for pleasure use cost less to insure than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Improper usage on your iQ may be wasting your money. It's always a good idea to double check that your insurance policy is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Teen drivers pay high premiums - Inexperience drivers have been known to get distracted easily when behind the wheel therefore insurance rates are much higher. Parents adding a teenage driver onto your insurance can increase premiums substantially. Older insureds are proven to be safer behind the wheel, tend to file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations.
Scion iQ historical loss data - Car insurance companies factor in historical loss data to help determine rates. Vehicles that have higher number or severity of losses will have higher rates for specific coverages. The table below illustrates the historical loss data for Scion iQ vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is set at 100. Values that are below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values that are above 100 indicate more frequent losses or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Scion iQ Insurance Claim Statistics Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Scion iQ 77 81 75BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Finding more affordable insurance rates can be surprisingly simple. All you need to do is take a few minutes comparing rate quotes from some recommended companies.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide price comparisons in Plano, TX. To buy cheap auto insurance in Plano, it's highly recommended you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
Buying the right vehicle insurance in Texas is an important decision
Despite the potentially high cost of Scion iQ insurance, paying for insurance is mandatory in Texas but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Scion has a lienholder, it's most likely the lender will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may insure your Scion at a much higher rate and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your Scion iQ and your assets. Insurance will also pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying insurance more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. As of last year, the average driver in Texas is overpaying more than $830 a year so compare rate quotes each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Score discounts on Plano auto insurance
Some insurance providers do not list every discount available in a way that's easy to find, so below is a list a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Plano auto insurance online.
- Active Military Service - Being deployed with a military unit could qualify you for better prices.
- Telematics Discount - Insureds who allow driving data submission to track where and when they drive by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system may get a rate reduction if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Distant Student Discount - Youth drivers who live away from home at college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Forcing all vehicle occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the personal injury premium cost.
- Membership in Organizations - Being in a civic or occupational organization in Plano could earn you a nice discount when getting a Plano auto insurance quote.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Paperless Signup - A handful of larger companies will give a small break for completing your application digitally online.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured - Having several vehicles with the same company qualifies for this discount.
We need to note that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, auto insurance companies aren't that generous.
Larger auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be found below.
- Farm Bureau includes discounts for renewal discount, safe driver, multi-policy, good student, youthful driver, and 55 and retired.
- MetLife may include discounts for defensive driver, claim-free, good driver, accident-free, multi-policy, good student
- Progressive may have discounts that include online quote discount, homeowner, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, multi-policy, and good student.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including good student, anti-theft, pay-in-full, multi-policy, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, and good driver.
- American Family may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, mySafetyValet, bundled insurance, Steer into Savings, air bags, TimeAway discount, and accident-free.
- GEICO offers discounts for anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, federal employee, daytime running lights, military active duty, multi-policy, and seat belt use.
- State Farm discounts include multiple policy, accident-free, passive restraint, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and defensive driving training.
When quoting, ask every insurance company which discounts they offer. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered on policies in every state.
Local Plano car insurance agents
A lot of people would rather sit down and talk to an agent and that is OK! Licensed agents will help you protect your assets and help you file claims. One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Plano who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent immediately to you. If you have a need to get a price quote from a particular provider, just visit that company's website and complete a quote there.
Finding the right insurance company is decision based upon more than just the price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Plano?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Does the company have a local claim office in Plano?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
If you are searching for a good insurance agency, there are a couple of different types of agencies and how they work. Insurance agencies can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both types of agents can sell affordable insurance policies, but it's a good idea to understand the difference in how they write coverage since it can affect the kind of agent you use.
These agents can usually just insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their company's products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers frequently purchase coverage from exclusives mostly because of the brand and solid financial strength.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Plano that can give you price quotes.
- Donnie Pence - State Farm Insurance Agent
1301 Custer Rd #340 - Plano, TX 75075 - (972) 309-0009 - View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Danny Wilson
5501 Independence Pkwy Ste 311 - Plano, TX 75023 - (972) 519-0936 - View Map
- Korina Hernandez - State Farm Insurance Agent
2301 N Central Expy #260 - Plano, TX 75075 - (972) 423-7667 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type often have many company appointments so they can write business with an assortment of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier which makes it simple for you. If you are comparing insurance prices, it's recommended you get insurance quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the best price comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which could offer lower prices.
Listed below is a short list of independent agencies in Plano who can help you get price quotes.
- Matt Lohoefer Insurance
5805 Coit Rd #401 - Plano, TX 75093 - (972) 964-0113 - View Map
- A-Z Insurance Agency
1110 E Parker Rd #106 - Plano, TX 75074 - (972) 200-5070 - View Map
- Plano, TX Car Insurance - The Gallovich Insurance Agency
1145 14th St #2117 - Plano, TX 75074 - (972) 398-0001 - View Map
What is the best auto insurance company in Plano?
Selecting the right company is hard considering how many different insurance companies sell coverage in Texas. The company information shown next may help you decide which auto insurers to look at when comparing rates.
Top 10 Plano Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers - A++
- USAA - A++
- GEICO - A++
- State Farm - A++
- Titan Insurance - A+
- Esurance - A+
- Progressive - A+
- The Hartford - A+
- Allstate - A+
- Nationwide - A+
Top 10 Plano Car Insurance Companies Overall
- Mercury Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
When in doubt talk to an agent
When quoting and choosing proper insurance coverage, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Everyone's situation is unique.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether you might need an agent's assistance.
- Is a blown tire covered by insurance?
- Am I better off with higher deductibles on my Scion iQ?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
If you can't answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
One last note
In this article, we presented many ways to find lower-cost Scion iQ insurance in Plano. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding affordable Plano auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest car insurance rates are with some of the smallest insurance companies.
When shopping online for insurance, it's a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
Budget-conscious Scion iQ insurance can be found from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not offer internet price quotes and these small, regional companies work with local independent agencies.
Additional detailed information is available by following these links:
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Who Has Affordable Plano Auto Insurance for College Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Welfare Recipients in Plano? (FAQ)
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)