If you want to save the most money, the best way to get discount car insurance rates is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from providers in Plano.
- Gain an understanding of individual coverages and the measures you can take to keep rates low. Many things that result in higher prices such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and an imperfect credit rating can be controlled by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Read the full article for more details to help reduce premium rates and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
- Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes for many different companies. Start a quote
- Compare the price quotes to the premium of your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Plano. If you find a lower rate and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Notify your current company of your intent to cancel your existing policy and submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to the new company. Be sure to safely store the certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle.
An important note is to use identical coverage information on every quote request and and to compare every insurance company. Doing this helps ensure a fair rate comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Anyone knows that auto insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. Insureds who shop around will most likely switch car insurance companies because of the good chance of finding a lower-cost company. A recent survey found that consumers who regularly shopped around saved an average of $70 a month as compared to drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding budget-friendly car insurance in Plano is your objective, then knowing how to quote and compare insurance rates can make the process less intimidating.
Getting cheap insurance pricing is a fairly straight forward process. You just have to spend a few minutes on the computer getting comparison quotes to find the company with low cost Plano auto insurance quotes.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Plano, TX. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Car insurance is an important decision
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Cadillac XLR in Plano, car insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
First, almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to be legal. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your Cadillac XLR, most lenders will force you to have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Cadillac for a much higher rate and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, car insurance preserves both your Cadillac XLR and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for hospital and medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Cadillac as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your XLR outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. As of last year, the average driver in Texas overpays as much as $700 annually so you should quote and compare rates at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Cheap Plano car insurance rates with discounts
Some providers do not list every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so the next list breaks down both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving when you buy Plano auto insurance online.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Vehicles with ABS and/or traction control prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Just owning your own home may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Waiver for an Accident - This isn't a discount exactly, but companies like Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm will turn a blind eye to one accident before they charge you more for coverage so long as you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Drivers Education - It's a good idea to have your young drivers take driver's ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Early Payment Discounts - By paying your entire bill at once as opposed to paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Good Student Discount - Excelling in school can save 20 to 25%. Most companies allow this discount well after school through age 25.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Insuring multiple cars on one policy qualifies for this discount.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you aren't that lucky.
Companies that may offer many of the previously listed discounts possibly include:
Check with every prospective company to apply every possible discount. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policies in your area. To choose insurance companies with the best discounts in Plano, click here.
Don't I need to talk to an agent?
A small number of people just prefer to get advice from a local agent and that can be a smart move Professional agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
Upon completion of this short form, the coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Plano that can give you free Plano auto insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. There is no need to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. In the event you want to get a rate quote from a specific car insurance provider, feel free to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Selecting an provider is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
When searching for a reliable insurance agency, it's important to understand the different types of agents and how they are distinctly different. Agencies in Plano are considered either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both types can sell and service car insurance coverage, but it's worth learning the difference in how they write coverage because it may have an impact on which type of agent you select.
Agents of this type can only place business with one company such as Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to compare other company's rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are trained well on their company's products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some consumers prefer to use the same agent mostly because of the brand name rather than low rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Plano that can give you price quote information.
- Donnie Pence - State Farm Insurance Agent
1301 Custer Rd #340 - Plano, TX 75075 - (972) 309-0009 - View Map
- William Kuo - State Farm Insurance Agent
280 Legacy Dr #250 - Plano, TX 75023 - (972) 575-9100 - View Map
- Jason Ruiz - State Farm Insurance Agent
5809 Preston Rd #586 - Plano, TX 75093 - (972) 378-1024 - View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not limited to a single company so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies and find the cheapest rate. If prices rise, they can switch companies in-house without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, we recommend you contact multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most have the option of insuring with lesser-known insurance companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Shown below is a list of independent agents in Plano who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Reginald Denard White
800 E Central Pkwy Ste 200 - Plano, TX 75074 - (972) 422-9412 - View Map
- A and H Insurance
2504 K Ave #400 - Plano, TX 75074 - (972) 423-4348 - View Map
- Alpha Omega Insurance Agency
3131 Custer Rd #275 - Plano, TX 75075 - (866) 386-0739 - View Map
If you get reasonable responses and locked in a price quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agency that meets the requirements to insure your vehicles. Just understand that consumers can terminate your policy for any reason so don't assume you are locked into a specific company for any length of time.
Car insurance coverages 101
Learning about specific coverages of your car insurance policy aids in choosing which coverages you need for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like falling objects, a broken windshield, damage from getting keyed, hail damage and hitting a bird. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle's value it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Auto collision coverage
This pays for damage to your XLR resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, crashing into a ditch, hitting a parking meter and colliding with a tree. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also raise the deductible on your XLR to save money on collision insurance.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants as well as your vehicle's damage.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (Texas limits are 30/60/25), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Auto liability insurance
This provides protection from damage or injury you incur to other's property or people. It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have limits of 30/60/25 which stand for a $30,000 limit per person for injuries, $60,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability coverage protects against things such as repair bills for other people's vehicles, attorney fees, repair costs for stationary objects, court costs and loss of income. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but you should buy as much as you can afford. Texas requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
The illustration below shows why low liability limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Medical expense insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for immediate expenses such as rehabilitation expenses, funeral costs and X-ray expenses. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Persistence is the key to affordable rates
When getting Plano auto insurance quotes online, it's very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford, but do not skimp to save money.
Insureds change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as questionable increases in premium, delays in paying claims, high rates after DUI convictions or even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
You just learned many tips how you can lower your Cadillac XLR insurance rates in Plano. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies.
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Plano Car Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Male? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)