Unbelievable but true according to a study the vast majority of consumers have purchased from the same company for a minimum of four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. Plano consumers could save up to $1,770 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don't want to spend time to find cheaper auto insurance rates.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to get discount Honda Fit insurance in Plano is to compare prices at least once a year from different companies that insure vehicles in Texas. You can compare prices by following these steps.
- Step 1: Read and learn about coverages and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that cause high rates such as speeding tickets, careless driving and poor credit history can be eliminated by being financially responsible and driving safely. This article provides information to prevent expensive rate increases and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
- Step 2: Compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Plano. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
The key aspect of shopping around is to make sure you enter similar coverage information on each price quote and and to get quotes from as many companies as you can. Doing this guarantees a fair rate comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
When looking for the cheapest Honda Fit rate quotes, there are a couple ways to obtain and compare prices from local Plano insurance companies. The quickest method to do a complete rate comparison consists of shopping online.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it makes it obsolete to spend time driving to all the different Plano insurance agencies. Shopping for insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the advice and guidance of a licensed agent. If you prefer, some companies allow you to price shop your coverage online but have a local agent actually write the policy. It's important to know that more quotes helps improve the odds of finding a lower rate. Not every company allows you to get rate quotes online, so it's important to also get price quotes on coverage from those companies, too.
The car insurance companies shown below offer comparison quotes in Texas. If you want to find cheaper auto insurance in Plano, we recommend you get rates from several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the potentially high cost of Honda Fit insurance, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability insurance if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Fit, almost every bank will stipulate that you buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you default on your policy, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Honda at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your Honda and your assets. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying auto insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. An average driver in America overpays more than $865 each year so you should quote and compare rates at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Rates and other information
The table displayed below outlines detailed analysis of coverage costs for Honda Fit models. Having insight into how premiums are figured is important to be able to make decisions when shopping around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fit Sport VSA||$176||$360||$256||$16||$76||$884||$74|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, claim-free, and safe-driver. Rate quotes do not factor in your specific Plano location which can lower or raise rates significantly.
Careless driving habits raise Plano auto insurance rates
The illustration below shows how traffic citations and accident claims raise Honda Fit annual premium costs for each different age group. Data assumes a married male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The illustration below illustrates the comparison of Honda Fit yearly insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. Data assumes no claims or driving violations, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying full coverage
There isn't a steadfast formula for dropping comp and collision coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than around 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's say your Honda Fit claim settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $7,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If premiums are more than $700 annually to have full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good plan. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Honda Fit insurance in Plano
Companies don't list every discount very clearly, so we break down a few of the more common and the harder-to-find credits available to bring down your rates.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Options like air bags or automatic seat belts could see savings up to 30%.
- Sign Early and Save - Some insurance companies reward drivers for buying a new policy before your current expiration date. It could save around 10% when you buy Plano auto insurance online.
- Homeowners Savings - Just being a homeowner can get you a discount since owning and maintaining a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Mature Driver Discount - Mature drivers are able to get better insurance rates.
- Membership in Organizations - Affiliation with a professional or civic organization could trigger savings on insurance.
- Discount for Good Grades - Performing well in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The good student discount can last until age 25.
- Low Miles Discount - Fewer annual miles on your Honda could be rewarded with discounted insurance rates on garaged vehicles.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Drivers who elect to allow driving data submission to track where and when they drive remotely such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system could save a few bucks if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Multi-car Discount - Buying a policy with more than one vehicle with the same company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- E-sign - Many larger companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up on the internet.
Don't be shocked that some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn't make money that way.
The example below compares Honda Fit yearly insurance costs with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The price estimates are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no claims, Texas state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-car, multi-policy, marriage, homeowner, and safe-driver discounts applied.
To view companies with discount rates in Texas, click this link.
You may need advice from an agent
Certain consumers still prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is OK! One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is you may find the best rates and still have an agent to talk to. Putting coverage with local agents is important particularly in Plano.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Plano that can give you free Plano auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. You'll get the best rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a specific auto insurance provider, feel free to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
If you are wanting to find an insurance agent, it's helpful to know the types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Plano can be described as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are appointed with more than one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with many different companies and get you the best rates possible. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally and you stay with the same agent.
When comparing auto insurance rates, you will definitely want to include several independent insurance agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agents in Plano that may be able to give price quotes.
Exclusive insurance agents are contracted to one company such as Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They are highly trained on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage.
Below are Plano exclusive insurance agencies who can help you get rate quotes.
Finding the right insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. The following questions are important to ask.
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- How long has their agency been open in Plano?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Plano?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
If you feel you receive answers to your satisfaction to any questions you may have as well as offering an affordable quote, most likely you have located an insurance agency that is professional and can insure your vehicles.
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to the right insurance coverage, there really isn't a "perfect" insurance plan. Your needs are unique to you.
For example, these questions may help highlight whether you might need professional guidance.
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Plano?
- What can I do if my company won't pay a claim?
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- What if I don't agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Who is covered when they drive my Honda Fit?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Texas?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Smart shoppers get results
Insureds leave their current company for many reasons like unfair underwriting practices, lack of trust in their agent, extreme rates for teen drivers or even questionable increases in premium. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
You just learned a lot of tips how to shop for Honda Fit insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it's not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
More learning opportunities
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Infrequent Drivers in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 50 in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Plano Auto Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Silverado? (FAQ)
- What is Covered by GAP Insurance? (Allstate)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)