Chevy Colorado insurance policy image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
The best way to find discount car insurance rates in Plano is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from different companies in Texas. This can be done by following these steps.
- Step 1: Spend some time learning about how car insurance works and the modifications you can make to keep rates low. Many rating criteria that drive up the price like speeding and an unfavorable credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Continue reading for additional ideas to get cheaper rates and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Step 2: Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide prices for a wide range of companies. Click to view companies
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Notify your current company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a down payment along with a completed application for your new coverage. As soon as coverage is bound, keep the new certificate of insurance along with your vehicle registration.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you'll want to compare identical coverages on every quote and and to compare as many auto insurance providers as possible. This guarantees a fair rate comparison and a better comparison of the market.
Amazingly, a large majority of auto insurance policyholders have been with the same company for four years or more, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never compared rates to find lower-cost insurance. Plano drivers could save roughly $1,770 each year, but most just don't grasp the actual amount they would save if they replace their high priced policy.
Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Plano is quite easy if you know the best way to do it. If you have a current auto insurance policy, you will be able to find better prices using the ideas presented in this article. Although Texas vehicle owners must learn how the larger insurance companies compete online and use it to find better rates.
How to buy Chevy Colorado insurance online
All major insurance companies like Allstate and Progressive give prices for coverage direct online. Comparing prices online for Chevy Colorado insurance in Plano is very simple as you just enter your coverage information on the page. Once you submit the form, the company's rating system automatically retrieves your driving and credit reports and quotes a price based on these factors.
Getting online price quotes for Chevy Colorado insurance in Plano makes it simple to compare prices and it's necessary to compare as many rates as possible if you want to find lower-cost rates.
If you want to compare rates using this form now, visit the companies below or click here to submit a quote request to multiple companies at once. To compare your current rates, we recommend you copy the limits and deductibles as shown on your current policy. This ensures you are getting a rate comparison for similar coverage.
The companies shown below can provide comparison quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
Get lower-cost Chevy Colorado insurance in Plano with discounts
Companies don't always list the entire discount list in a way that's easy to find, so we break down a few of the more common and also the more inconspicuous savings tricks you should be using when you buy Plano auto insurance online.
- New Vehicle Savings - Adding a new car to your policy can get you a discount because newer models keep occupants safer.
- Safe Drivers - Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accident claims.
- Defensive Driving Course - Taking part in a class that teaches driver safety techniques is a good idea and can lower rates and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- ABS Braking Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Online Discount - A few companies will provide an incentive shop Plano auto insurance digitally online.
- Theft Prevention System - Cars and trucks with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Military Deployment Discount - Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Maintaining low annual mileage can earn lower prices on the low mileage vehicles.
- Senior Citizen Rates - Drivers over the age of 55 may receive reduced rates.
Please keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
The information below compares Chevy Colorado auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied. The premiums assume a female driver, no accidents, no driving violations, Texas state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, marriage, claim-free, multi-car, multi-policy, and homeowner discounts applied.
A list of companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are:
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including type of vehicle, annual mileage, accident-free, multi-policy, and age of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for teen driver, alternative fuel, good student, early shopping, business and professional, and youthful driver.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for multi-policy, 55 and retired, renewal discount, driver training, and youthful driver.
- State Farm includes discounts for multiple policy, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, driver's education, and accident-free.
- Allstate policyholders can earn discounts including new car, defensive driver, FullPay discount, eSmart discount, and multi-policy.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, daytime running lights, good student, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, and membership and employees.
When getting free Plano auto insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. Discounts may not be offered everywhere. If you would like to see a list of providers that offer many of these discounts in Texas, follow this link.
Insurance coverage analysis
The coverage table displayed next covers estimates of coverage costs for Chevy Colorado models. Learning more about how car insurance premiums are established can benefit drivers when making decisions when choosing a new policy provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Colorado LT 2WD||$244||$486||$382||$22||$114||$1,248||$104|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$286||$592||$382||$22||$114||$1,396||$116|
|Colorado LT 4WD||$286||$486||$324||$20||$96||$1,212||$101|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$286||$592||$382||$22||$114||$1,396||$116|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$286||$486||$324||$20||$96||$1,212||$101|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$328||$592||$324||$20||$96||$1,360||$113|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and multi-policy. Rate quotes do not factor in specific Plano garaging location which can alter insurance rates considerably.
Impact of speeding/accidents on car insurance rates
The illustration below shows how violations and at-fault fender-benders drive up Chevy Colorado car insurance costs for each age group. The costs are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Car insurance premiums based on gender
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Colorado insurance prices for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on no accidents, no driving violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only in Plano
The illustration below shows the comparison of Chevy Colorado yearly insurance costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The premiums assume no violations or claims, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to drop full coverage
There is no specific rule to eliminate comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is about 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let's say your Chevy Colorado replacement cost is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company would pay you is $3,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it's costing in excess of $300 annually for full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some scenarios where eliminating full coverage is not a good idea. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to keep full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest in the vehicle. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage in place.
Get rate quotes but buy from a neighborhood Plano auto insurance agent
Many people still prefer to sit down with an agent and that is not a bad decision One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is you may find lower rates and still choose a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), the quote information is emailed to local insurance agents in Plano that provide free Plano auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You don't have to contact any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. You can find lower rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you wish to quote rates for a specific company, don't hesitate to visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Finding the right provider requires more thought than just a low price. Any agent in Plano should have no problem answering these questions:
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- How many years have they been established?
- Is the agent properly licensed in Texas?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
The following are Plano insurance companies that can give you price quote information for Chevy Colorado insurance in Plano.
- Nationwide Insurance: Nicholas Arthur Purvis Agency
5600 Tennyson Pkwy #243 - Plano, TX 75024 - (972) 665-9975 - View Map
- Ruth Bookhammer - State Farm Insurance Agent
1106 14th St - Plano, TX 75074 - (469) 814-0551 - View Map
- Sills Insurance
2817 Regal Rd # 101 - Plano, TX 75075 - (972) 596-5866 - View Map
- Paragon Independent Insurance Agencies
6305 Preston Rd Suite 1000 - Plano, TX 75024 - (972) 473-4813 - View Map
If you feel you receive reasonable responses to any questions you have and a good coverage price, it's a good possibility that you have found an insurer that is reliable enough to adequately provide auto insurance.
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
When it comes to buying adequate coverage, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Your situation is unique and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if your insurance needs might need an agent's assistance.
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- What can I do if my company won't pay a claim?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- How much will a speeding ticket raise my rates?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
If you can't answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Cut Insurance Costs with These Tips
When buying car insurance it's important to understand the different types of things that go into determining the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that could help you find much lower annual insurance costs.
- Raising deductibles saves money - Insurance for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, covers damage that occurs to your Chevy. Some examples of claims that would be covered are collision with another vehicle, damage from fire, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles define how much you are willing to pay if the claim is covered. The larger the amount you have to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Vehicles with better crash test results are cheaper to insure - Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. Vehicles engineered for safety have better occupant injury protection and fewer serious injuries means less money paid by your insurance company and thus lower rates.
- Never go without car insurance - Not having insurance can get your license suspended and companies may charge more for letting your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Get hitched and pay less - Being married may save some money on your policy. Having a spouse translates into being more financially stable and insurance companies reward insureds because drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Annual mileage impacts prices - The more you drive annually the more it will cost to insure it. A lot of companies calculate prices based on their usage. Vehicles that have low annual miles get more affordable rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Having the wrong rating on your Colorado may be costing you higher rates. It's a good idea to make sure your car insurance policy is showing the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money.
- Your credit rating is important - Having a good credit rating is a big factor in determining premium rates. Therefore, if your credit history is lower than you'd like, you could save money insuring your Chevrolet Colorado if you clean up your credit. Consumers who have excellent credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have lower credit ratings.
Chevy Colorado claim probability - Auto insurance companies use past insurance losses when they file their rates in each state. Vehicles that the data shows to have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have a higher cost to insure. The information below illustrates the loss history for Chevy Colorado vehicles.
For each coverage category, the statistical loss for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is set at 100. Percentage values below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while values that are above 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Chevrolet Colorado Vehicles Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 2WD 73 57 64 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4WD 90 89 86 67 Chevrolet Colorado Ext Cab 2WD 55 Chevrolet Colorado Ext Cab 4WD 67BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Why car insurance is not optional
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Plano, buying car insurance is required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability if you drive a vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, more than likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may insure your Chevy at an extremely high rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance protects your Chevy and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays more than $800 each year so compare rate quotes once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
One last thing about your coverage
There are still a few companies who may not have online price quotes and usually these smaller companies only sell through local independent agents. More affordable insurance in Plano is available from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Plano agents, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture.
When getting Plano auto insurance quotes online, it's not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where an insured dropped collision coverage to discover at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost, not the least amount of coverage.
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda Civic in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Plano Car Insurance for a Nissan Sentra? (FAQ)
- Self-driving cars won't replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)