How long has it been since the last time you looked for lower-priced insurance rates in Plano, TX? Plano drivers have many options when trying to find affordable Chevy Volt insurance. They can either waste time driving around getting price quotes or utilize the internet to make rate comparisons.
There are both good and bad ways to shop for insurance and you need to know the absolute fastest way to get price quotes for a new or used Chevy and obtain the best price possible either online or from Plano insurance agents.
Anyone knows that insurance companies don't want policyholders to shop around. People who compare rates at least once a year will presumably switch to a new company because they have good chances of finding a lower rate. A survey found that consumers who routinely shopped around saved $72 a month compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding low prices for Chevy Volt insurance in Plano is your intention, then having some knowledge of how to find companies and compare coverage rates can make it easier to find better rates.
You should take the time to get comparison quotes every six months because insurance rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. If you had the best deal on Chevy Volt insurance in Plano on your last policy you can probably find a better price now. Forget all the misinformation about insurance because you're going to learn the tricks you need to know to save on insurance.
How Insurers Determine Chevy Volt Insurance Prices
Lots of factors are part of the equation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, but other criteria are not as apparent like your vehicle usage or your commute time.
The following are some of the most common factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rates.
- Never go without car insurance - Having a gap between insurance policy dates is a quick way to drive up your policy premiums. Not only will you pay higher rates, getting caught without coverage may result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- Keep the miles off and save - The higher the miles on your Chevy each year the higher your rates will be. Most companies calculate rates based on their usage. Autos that sit idle most of the time get more affordable rates than those that get driven frequently. It's a good idea to make sure your car insurance declarations sheet reflects the correct usage, because it can save money. Incorrect rating for your Volt may be costing you higher rates.
- Your car's features help determine car insurance rates - Buying a car with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Anti-theft devices such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems help track and prevent car theft and help bring rates down.
- Low stress occupation equals lower prices - Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs such as military generals, air traffic controllers, and miners generally have the highest rates due to high stress levels and lengthy work days. Conversely, careers like actors, athletes and performers have the lowest average rates.
- Insure your auto and home with one company - Lots of insurance companies provide a discount to customers that have more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to as much as ten percent or more Even if you're getting this discount drivers will still want to compare other Plano Volt insurance rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Consumers may save even more by buying from different companies
- An active policy claims history can cost more - If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you should expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance companies in Texas provide most affordable rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. Auto insurance is intended for larger claims.
- Your address can affect price - Having an address in a rural area may provide you with better prices when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers on the road means reduced accidents and a lower car theft rate. City drivers regularly have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. More time on the road statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
- Is insurance cheaper for men or women? - Statistics have proven females are less aggressive when driving. However, this does not mean males are worse at driving than females. They both get in fender benders at a similar rate, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Men also get ticketed for serious violations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Young men ages 16 to 20 tend to get in the most accidents and thus pay the highest rates.
Insurance loss statistics a Chevy Volt - Insurers take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle to determine a price that will be profitable for them. Vehicles that tend to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have a higher premium rate.
The table below illustrates the collected loss data for Chevy Volt vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is considered to be 100. Values that are below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while percentage values above 100 point to more frequent losses or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Chevrolet Volt Insurance Claim Statistics Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Volt Electric 89 83 81 71 73 90BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Plano insurance discounts for a Chevy Volt
Some providers don't necessarily list every possible discount very well, so the below list has both the well known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to you.
- Organization Discounts - Joining specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could qualify you for a break when getting a Plano car insurance quote.
- Theft Deterrent System - Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are less likely to be stolen and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job may reduce rates when you quote Plano car insurance with certain companies.
- First Accident Forgiveness - Not a discount per se, but a handful of insurance companies may permit one accident without the usual rate increase as long as you don't have any claims before the accident.
- Cautious Driver Discount - Accident-free drivers may save up to 50% more compared to accident prone drivers.
Just know that some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like it's possible to get free car insurance, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy. But all discounts will definitely reduce the premium cost.
Popular car insurance companies and a selection of discounts are included below.
- GEICO has discounts for good student, driver training, seat belt use, federal employee, five-year accident-free, military active duty, and air bags.
- MetLife includes discounts for defensive driver, good driver, accident-free, multi-policy, good student, claim-free
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including driver's education, passive restraint, good student, good driver, and Drive Safe & Save.
- Progressive discounts include online quote discount, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-policy, homeowner, and good student.
- Mercury Insurance may have discounts that include age of vehicle, accident-free, low natural disaster claims, type of vehicle, and good student.
- 21st Century offers premium reductions for air bags, automatic seat belts, teen driver, 55 and older, and student driver.
- Allstate may offer discounts for good payer, utility vehicle, multi-policy, teenSMART discount, auto/life discount, premier plus, and FullPay discount.
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. A few discounts may not apply in Plano. If you would like to view insurers that offer discounts in Plano, click here.
Compare but don't skimp
Lower-priced auto insurance in Plano can be bought online as well as from insurance agents, so you need to quote Plano car insurance with both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not have internet price quotes and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies.
When buying insurance coverage, it's very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed full coverage to discover at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
You just learned a lot of techniques to find cheap Chevy Volt insurance in Plano. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Plano car insurance, the better likelihood of getting the cheapest Chevrolet Volt rate quotes. You may even find the best car insurance rates are with an unexpected company. Some small companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like GEICO and State Farm.
Steps to finding low-cost Chevy Volt insurance in Plano
The preferred way to find discount car insurance rates is to compare prices at least once a year from insurers in Plano.
- Step 1: Read and learn about auto insurance and the modifications you can make to prevent high rates. Many factors that cause high rates like traffic violations, accidents, and an imperfect credit rating can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing policy to determine if you can save on Volt insurance in Plano. If you find better rates and make a switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your existing policy. Submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to the new company. Once coverage is bound, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance along with the vehicle's registration papers.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you use the same level of coverage on each quote request and to quote with every insurance company. This enables an apples-to-apples comparison and many rates to choose from.
More detailed auto insurance information is available at these sites:
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Plano Auto Insurance for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Plano Car Insurance Rates for Police Officers? (FAQ)
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)