The preferred way to save on Chevy SS insurance is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from different companies in Plano.
- Gain an understanding of how car insurance works and the factors you can control to prevent rate increases. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates like speeding and poor credit history can be rectified by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Later in this article we will cover additional ideas to lower rates and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
- Compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote and change companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Tell your current company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit payment and a completed application for the new policy. Be sure to keep the new proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location.
The critical component of shopping around is to use identical deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to get rate quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Anyone knows that auto insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. Insureds who shop around for cheaper price quotes are very likely to switch to a new company because there is a good probability of finding a lower-priced company. A recent survey discovered that drivers who did price comparisons regularly saved an average of $865 annually compared to other drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the cheapest rates on auto insurance is your goal, then having some knowledge of the best way to quote and compare coverages can make it easier for you to save money.
Choosing the most cost-effective car insurance policy in Plano can be much easier if you know how to start. If you are already insured or just want cheaper coverage, follow these tips to get lower rates without having to cut coverage. Smart buyers just need to know the most time-saving way to compare rates on the web.
Getting a more affordable price on Chevy SS insurance is actually easier than you may think. Just take time comparing free Plano auto insurance quotes to find the company with low cost Plano auto insurance quotes.
The companies shown below offer free quotes in Plano, TX. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Auto insurance just makes sense
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Plano, auto insurance serves several important purposes.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Chevy with a loan, more than likely the lender will have a requirement that you have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may insure your Chevy for a lot more money and require you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance protects not only your Chevy but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. But the average American driver overpays as much as $810 a year so it’s important to compare rates every year to ensure rates are inline.
Six Tips to Get Lower-cost Plano Insurance Premiums
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Most are fairly basic like your driving record, but some are more transparent such as your credit history or how financially stable you are.
Driver age impacts prices – Mature drivers have been proven to be more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and usually have better credit. Young drivers are statistically proven to be easily distracted when behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates.
Companies want multiple policies – Some companies will give better rates to policyholders that purchase more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it’s in your best interest to compare Chevy SS rates in Plano to make sure you are getting the best deal.
When should you file insurance claims? – If you frequently file small claims, you can definitely plan on either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance companies in Texas provide cheaper rates to people that do not abuse their auto insurance. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for claims that pose a financial burden.
Lower performance equals lower insurance costs – The performance of the vehicle you drive makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Gender is a factor – Statistics have proven that females take fewer risks when driving. That doesn’t necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. Men and women have auto accidents at about the same rate, but the males tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically receive more major tickets like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving.
Extra policy coverages can add up – Insurance policies have a lot of extra bells and whistles that can add up on your car insurance policy. Add-on coverages like coverage for rental cars, high-cost glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage are examples of these. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
Insurance loss probability for a Chevy SS – Auto insurance companies study historical loss data when setting premium costs. Models that the data shows to have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have increased rates.
The table below demonstrates the loss history for Chevy SS vehicles. For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, as an average, is a value of 100. Values under 100 suggest a positive loss record, while numbers shown that are more than 100 point to more claims or tendency to have higher losses.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Get cheaper Chevy SS insurance in Plano with discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t necessarily list every available discount very well, so the list below contains some of the best known and also the lesser-known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Plano auto insurance online. If you’re not getting every credit available, you could be getting lower rates.
- Early Signing – A few larger companies give discounts for switching companies before your current coverage expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more on SS insurance in Plano.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you can bundle your home and auto insurance with one company you may earn at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Mature Driver Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you are able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Good Student – Being a good student can save 20 to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up until you turn 25.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers successfully complete driver’s ed class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
Don’t be surprised that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you’re out of luck.
Some of the larger companies that may offer policyholders most of these discounts may include but are not limited to:
Before buying, ask all the companies to apply every possible discount. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in every state.
Will just any policy work for me?
Always remember that when buying insurance from an agent or online for your vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Your financial needs are unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Texas minimum liability coverage?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- Is there coverage for my trailer?
- Is a driver training discount available?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- What happens if I owe more than my Chevy SS is worth?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
You may require the services of a local insurance agent
Many people just prefer to go talk to an agent and that is a smart decision Agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of comparing auto insurance online is you may find cheap auto insurance rates and still buy from a local agent.
By using this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Plano who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to leave your house because prices are sent instantly to you. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific auto insurance provider, feel free to find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
Picking an insurer requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- Where are claims handled?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
If you’re trying to find a local Plano insurance agency, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents and how they can write your policy. Insurance agencies in Plano may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either one can sell and service auto insurance coverage, but it is a good idea to know the subtle differences because it can impact your agent selection.
These type of agents generally can only insure with one company such as Allstate and State Farm. They generally cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage. Consumers often buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the prominence of the brand rather than having low rates.
The following is a short list of exclusive agents in Plano who can help you get rate quotes.
- Farmers Insurance – Joseph Qiu
5016 Tennyson Pkwy – Plano, TX 75024 – (972) 781-0808 – View Map
- Korina Hernandez – State Farm Insurance Agent
2301 N Central Expy #260 – Plano, TX 75075 – (972) 423-7667 – View Map
- Ruth Bookhammer – State Farm Insurance Agent
1106 14th St – Plano, TX 75074 – (469) 814-0551 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not locked into one company so as a result can place your coverage through many different auto insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a cheaper price, the agent simply finds a different carrier and the insured can keep the same agent.
When searching for an agent, it’s a good idea to include price quotes from at least one independent agent in order to compare the most rates. Most can insure with additional companies that you may not be familiar with that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Plano that are able to give comparison quotes.
- VGW Insurance
4040 McDermott Rd #200 – Plano, TX 75024 – (972) 668-1000 – View Map
- Choice Insurance LLC
5045 Bridge Creek Dr – Plano, TX 75093 – (469) 467-6379 – View Map
- Texas FIrst Rate Insurance Agency
2105 W Spring Creek Pkwy #375c – Plano, TX 75023 – (972) 467-6500 – View Map
Which auto insurance company is best in Texas?
Finding the highest-rated car insurance provider can be challenging considering how many companies sell coverage in Plano. The company ratings shown next could help you select which auto insurance companies you want to consider comparing rate quotes with.
Top 10 Plano Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA – 91%
- AAA Insurance – 90%
- Esurance – 90%
- Mercury Insurance – 89%
- Nationwide – 89%
- Travelers – 88%
- Progressive – 88%
- Safeco Insurance – 88%
- State Farm – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
Top 10 Plano Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- Mercury Insurance
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- The General
- 21st Century
Persistence will pay off
People leave their current company for a number of reasons such as extreme rates for teen drivers, poor customer service, unfair underwriting practices or even lack of trust in their agent. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is less work than it seems.
When getting Plano auto insurance quotes online, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
Low-cost Chevy SS insurance in Plano can be sourced from both online companies and from local insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers don’t offer online rate quotes and many times these regional insurance providers prefer to sell through independent agents.
Even more information can be found by following these links:
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 50 in Plano? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Plano Car Insurance for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)